Homeownership rate in Hungary among highest in EU

Residential

Image by Pexels

In 2020, some 91% of Hungarians lived in a household that owned their home, according to data by statistical agency Eurostat.

The ownership rate in Hungary was the joint third-highest among member states, only behind Romania (96%) and Slovakia (92%). The rate of homeownership in Croatia stood at 91%, just as in Hungary.

At the other end of the spectrum, half of Germany's population lived in a household owning their home and the other half in a rented home. The shares of homeownership were low in Austria (55%) and Denmark (59%) as well. 

Some 70% of the population in the EU lived in a household owning their home in 2020, while the remaining 30% lived in rented housing. 

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Sharp Rise in Energy Costs Putting Strain on Competitiveness Analysis

Sharp Rise in Energy Costs Putting Strain on Competitiveness

Parl't approves 2023 budget Parliament

Parl't approves 2023 budget

Danubius Hotels Appoints Group Director of Development Appointments

Danubius Hotels Appoints Group Director of Development

3 Downtown Districts Planning to Introduce 30 km/h Speed Lim... City

3 Downtown Districts Planning to Introduce 30 km/h Speed Lim...

SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL

Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.