Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán commented for the first time after two days on the decision of the European Court of Justice on Wednesday. His tone was significantly more mild than that previously used by the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
In his weekly interview on Hungarian public radio, Orbán said: "We must take note of the decision, live with it, but we will not change our policy on migrants." This is a very different tone from Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Péter Szijjártó, who on Wednesday described the ECJʼs decision to reject a request by Hungary and Slovakia to annul the mandatory relocation of asylum seekers as "outrageous" and "irresponsible". For all that, the Prime Minister repeated Szijjártóʼs statement that "the real battle is just about to begin".
According to online portal index.hu, Orbán reasserted that "we decide with whom we wish to live together" and the debate is not about 1,200 people (the quota set for Hungary by the European Commisssion), but a much bigger issue. "The decision of the European Court has opened the door to the Soros plan," the PM said. Although he did not detail this plan, Orbán added that "former colonial countries wish to impose their will on us, but we are not and do not wish to become an immigrant country; I did not get a mandate for this from my voters."