Orbán notes ECJ ruling, says just start of the fight
MTI/ Zoltán Máthé
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán commented for the first time after two days on the decision of the European Court of Justice on Wednesday. His tone was significantly more mild than that previously used by the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
In his weekly interview on Hungarian public radio, Orbán said: "We must take note of the decision, live with it, but we will not change our policy on migrants." This is a very different tone from Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Péter Szijjártó, who on Wednesday described the ECJʼs decision to reject a request by Hungary and Slovakia to annul the mandatory relocation of asylum seekers as "outrageous" and "irresponsible". For all that, the Prime Minister repeated Szijjártóʼs statement that "the real battle is just about to begin".
According to online portal index.hu, Orbán reasserted that "we decide with whom we wish to live together" and the debate is not about 1,200 people (the quota set for Hungary by the European Commisssion), but a much bigger issue. "The decision of the European Court has opened the door to the Soros plan," the PM said. Although he did not detail this plan, Orbán added that "former colonial countries wish to impose their will on us, but we are not and do not wish to become an immigrant country; I did not get a mandate for this from my voters."
SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.