U.S. contact lens manufacturer to invest $40 mln in Hungarian plant

Int’l Relations

U.S. contact lens manufacturer CooperVision is to invest $40 mln over the next three years at its unit in Gyál, near Budapest, Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó said yesterday, Hungarian news agency MTI reported. The investment will create 400 jobs, he added. 

CooperVision turned out 625 million contact lenses in Gyál last year, and the investment will double over three years, the minister said. CooperVision exports 99.7% of its Hungarian output. Even with the remaining 0.3%, CooperVision is a market leader in Hungary, company president Daniel G. McBride said. McBride said his company acquired U.K. peer Sauflon last year, which had a unit in Gyál, established ten years earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Purchasing Managers' Index rises Analysis

Purchasing Managers' Index rises

Lawmakers approve residency permit for digital nomads Parliament

Lawmakers approve residency permit for digital nomads

The strongest move - Morgan Stanley Hungary head and Chess F... Podcasts

The strongest move - Morgan Stanley Hungary head and Chess F...

New Jewish cultural hub opens in Budapest City

New Jewish cultural hub opens in Budapest

SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL

Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.