Allies and the international community find the intervention against the Libyan regime effective.
The US and its allies intensified air attacks against forces of Moammar Gadhafi on Sunday. Allies were striking more targets in and around Tripoli, the capital. Allies jets and missiles targeted Libyan military installation over the weekend, including one of Gadhafi's armored columns on the road to Benghazi, the rebels’ capital. Explosion and the sound of anticraft fire were seen and heard near the city center.
On Sunday night an explosion struck one of Gadhafi’s compound. Later Libyan authorities said a building in Gadhafi's compound had been hit and damaged but Western journalist courted by Libyan authorities to the scene could not confirm any human casualties. Libyan state media also reported that at least 64 people have been killed and more than 150 wounded in airstrikes since Saturday, mostly civilians. Reporters were unable to verify the allegations.
Rebel forces began to regroup in the east as allied warplanes destroyed dozens of government armored vehicles near the rebel capital, Benghazi.
Allied forces considered the intervention effective in being able to stop Gadhfi’s his march on the rebel stronghold of Benghazi and create a coalition-led no-fly-zone over the country.
The French government said that while on Saturday its jets had destroyed four Libyan armored vehicles, the 15 planes it had in Libyan airspace on Sunday had encountered no opposition.
The Libyan regime responded differently to the air strike. While Gadhafi vowed to arm civilians and exterminate his opponents, his military announced a second cease-fire late in the day Sunday.
An important Arab party whose agreement was vital to reach the agreement to launch military operation voiced his concerns over the unfolding strikes and civilian casualties claimed to have been killed by allied bombardment. The Arab League chief, Amr Moussa told Egyptian state media he was calling for an emergency league meeting to discuss the situation in the Arab world, and particularly Libya, the International Herald Tribune reported.
The American and French militaries said that Qatar would join the military operation, giving a boost to allies and giving the sign that the Arab military force explicitly supports the intervention. Details on what role the Qatar forces would take have not been announced.
US defense secretary Robert Gates said the US would hand over control of the Libyan operation to other coalition partners within a matter of days, and no longer maintained the “pre-eminent role” in the operation, Financial Times wrote.