Are you sure?

Croatia drops EURO 2012 compensation claim

The Croatian FA has quietly dropped the idea of seeking compensation from UEFA for its failed joint bid with Hungary to host the EURO 2012.

The Croatian FA has quietly dropped the idea of seeking compensation from UEFA for its failed joint bid with Hungary to host the European championship in 2012, local media reported on Wednesday. Croatia and Hungary were bitterly disappointed after European soccer's ruling body last month chose Poland and Ukraine to host Euro 2012.

Italy was also a contender. Croatian FA President Vlatko Markovic said after the decision the two countries would file a compensation request worth some €2 million ($2.71 million), equivalent to the money invested in the bid. The decision was then delayed and passed onto the FA's executive committee which met on Tuesday. The FA's vice-president Ivan Brlekovic, however, told local newspapers that Markovic had been misunderstood.

„This is not about seeking compensation for the failed bid. We'll only ask UEFA to help funding our soccer development programs which we couldn't focus on properly during the last three years as we were occupied by the Euro bid,” he told the Jutarnji List daily. „That's a kind of financial support any (UEFA) member is entitled to ask for.” (javno.com)