Are you sure?

Porr could pull out of Hungary

Austrian construction company Porr could pull out of Hungary, CEO Karl-Heinz Strauss said in an interview published in Tuesday's issue of Austrian business daily Wirtschaftsblatt.

“I consider Hungary critical; it is possible we will have to pull out. The government has objections to the M6 motorway, which we built, but in my opinion, the problems are not of a technical nature but of a political one. We carried out the contract entirely appropriately”, Strauss told the paper.

Hungary's National Development Ministry said in January it found the consortium that built the stretch of the M6 motorway in the south of Hungary to have violated several points in the concession contract.

The concession holder failed to meet requirements for construction, documentation and classification, the ministry said. The errors and shortfalls could cost several billion forints, it added.

The M6 Tolna consortium, of which Porr is a member, later said in a statement that the section had been built adhering to the prescribed quality standards.

MTI was unable to reach Porr officials in Vienna by telephone for the time being.