Lázár: Paks deal will continue
Reacting to the announcement of the European Commissionʼs decision to block the upgrade of the Paks nuclear power plant, Cabinet Chief János Lázár said on state-owned Kossuth radio this morning that there is a "very good chance" that an agreement can be reached with the EC on supplying the plant with fuel.
The cabinet chief said he had held negotiations with Euratom officials in Luxembourg on Wednesday, and that Euratom raised concerns regarding Hungary’s plans to import fuel exclusively from Russia.
Lázár said a solution is being prepared to guaranteed secure delivery of fuel to Hungary and allow "the Russians to deliver fuel, too". It is not in the EUʼs interest to block the Paks upgrade, he added.
A spokesperson for Rosatom, the Russian state-owned firm that is supposed to handle the upgrade, told Reuters today that they have nothing to add to the position of the Hungarian government. Rosatomʼs spokesperson maintained that the EC and the Hungarian government had already agreed on the firmʼs deal on the Paks upgrade.
Late yesterday, the Financial Times reported that the EC backed Euratom’s decision to block Hungary’s Paks upgrade. The decision was reportedly made because Euratom was concerned about the arrangement under which Russia would supply the plant exclusively with fuel.
SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.