Consumer prices up 4.9% y.o.y. in August

Figures

Shutterstock.com

Consumer prices were 4.9% higher on average in August 2021 than a year earlier, with significant price increases measured for alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and motor fuels, according to data released by the Central Statistical Office (KSH).

Compared to August 2020, food prices were up by 3.7%, within which the price of edible oil by 30.6%, that of canteen meals by 9.2%, margarine prices by 9.1%, the price of poultry meat by 8.9%, that of flour by 8.2%, buffet product prices by 7.2% and the price of restaurant meals by 7%. 

Alcoholic beverages and tobacco prices rose by 10.5% on average, within which tobacco prices by 17.0%.

Consumers paid 4.4% more for consumer durables, within which living and dining room furniture cost 10.8%, jewelry 10.5%, kitchen and other furniture 8.3%, and new passenger cars 7.9% more for consumers. Motor fuel prices became 21.7% and the price of household repair and maintenance goods 12.9% higher. 

Services became 2.8%, within which the repair and maintenance of dwellings 12.1%, and recreational services 9.8% more expensive.

Consumer prices rose 0.2% compared to July

Consumer prices increased by 0.2% on average. Food prices rose by 0.2% and calculated without seasonal food items (potatoes, fresh vegetables and fresh domestic and tropical fruits in total) by 0.4% on average.

Within food, edible oil cost 2%, bread 1.2%, canteen meals 1.2%, milk 0.7%, and poultry meat 0.6% more, while both seasonal food items and other meat preparations 1.3% and eggs 0.6% less for consumers.

Motor fuel prices increased by 0.8% and the price of household repair and maintenance goods by 1.3%. Services prices were up by 0.4%, within which recreational services prices by 4.3% on average.

In January-August 2021, consumer prices rose by 4.3% for all households on average and by 3.9% among pensioner households.

ADVERTISEMENT

Századvég raises GDP forecast to 7.8% Analysis

Századvég raises GDP forecast to 7.8%

Opposition parties to begin PM candidate primaries Elections

Opposition parties to begin PM candidate primaries

New editor-in-chief at Betone Studio Appointments

New editor-in-chief at Betone Studio

BFK developing regional cycling strategy City

BFK developing regional cycling strategy

SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL

Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.