30 fatal house fires from smoking last year
Last year, there were a total of 30 fatal house fires due to smoking, the National Disaster Management Directorate (OKF) said this week, according to Világgazdaság.
On Saturday morning, one such house fire occurred in Nyírmártonfalva (245 km east of Budapest), in a 20 sqm room of a family house on Rákóczi utca.
A lit cigarette ignited a bed, as well as a pair of adjacent armchairs. The flames were put out by the house's residents before firefighters arrived on the scene, but one man died from smoke inhalation. In a statement, OKF warned that, typically, smokers fall asleep in bed before their cigarettes go out, which then ignite the bedsheets and the surroundings.
SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL
Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.