OTP Bank Buying Ipoteka Bank

Banking

Photo by Jessica Fejos

OTP Bank yesterday said it signed a contract to buy close to 97% of Uzbek peer Ipoteka Bank from the state, according to napi.hu.

OTP will acquire the state's entire stake in the lender from the Ministry of Finance, purchasing 75% of the shares immediately and the remaining 25% three years later.

The deal is expected to close in the first half of 2023, pending regulatory approval.

Ipoteka Bank is Uzbekistan's fifth-biggest bank, with a market share of 8.5% based on total assets. It has more than 1.6 million retail clients and a "significant" corporate clientele, OTP said.

The Hungarian lender signed a memorandum of understanding on the potential acquisition of the majority stake in Ipoteka in September 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bourse Turnover Reaches HUF 230 bln in February Figures

Bourse Turnover Reaches HUF 230 bln in February

Hungary Makes Proposals to Ease Administrative Burden for EU... EU

Hungary Makes Proposals to Ease Administrative Burden for EU...

Money Motion 2024: The Future of FinTech Unfolds in Zagreb Fintech

Money Motion 2024: The Future of FinTech Unfolds in Zagreb

Investors of the Year in Limelight at Hipa’s Award Ceremony Awards

Investors of the Year in Limelight at Hipa’s Award Ceremony

SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL

Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.