SOCAR plans to build refinery in Turkey
Azeri state energy firm SOCAR plans to borrow about $4 billion from foreign banks to finance construction of a refinery in Turkey, Reuters quoted a company official as saying. “According to a financing scheme, 65% of financing of the Star refinery will be provided by bank credits, while the remaining 35% (will come) from Azerbaijan’s own resources, mainly the state oil fund,” SOCAR Vice President Suleiman Gasymov said Friday. Turkey currently imports most of its oil products. Its sole refiner, Tupras, already buys some Azeri crude as some of the 28 million tons of oil it processes annually at four plants. Gasymov said SOCAR would sign an EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) contract with a consortium of foreign companies this month. “The EPC contract on construction of the Star refinery with a capacity of 10 million tons of oil a year is expected to be signed within days,” he said. Total construction costs are estimated at $5 billion to $6 billion. It is expected to be completed by 2016.
SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.