Deadly anthrax infection has been identified in Hungary’s Heves county, Hungarian veterinary authority NÉBIH announced on its website yesterday. One person showing symptoms of the infection was taken to hospital and is receiving medical treatment, the statement added.
According to NÉBIH’s statement, the disease was identified in a home-slaughtered cow. The case is raising worries as last week saw another appearance of anthrax in a different part of Hungary following the illegal slaughter of two cattle, though NÉBIH found no relation between the cases.
NÉBIH speculates the spread of virus may be due to infected feed that cows take in when they graze in contaminated fields. The bacteria probably spread after floods or during longer periods of drought, when wells become contaminated, the authority said.