Magyar Telekom to lay off 1,700 workers


Magyar Telekom, the subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom, declared 1,700 workers redundant following negotiations with worker-advocacy groups, the Hungarian service provider announced today.

Approximately 40% percent of the layoffs would take place during October 1, 2014–March 1, 2015, while the remaining 60% of the layoffs would occur by January 1, 2016, according to the announcement. The company is expected to pay up to HUF 12 bln in severance pay for laid-off employees.

Under the agreement with the workers' advocates, employees in the lower-paying categories will be kept on staff until January 1, 2016, which would cost the company HUF 15 bln.

Magyar Telekom currently employs 11,141, so the layoffs will reduce about 15% of staff.


MNB Int'l Reserves Rise EUR 633 mln in November MNB

MNB Int'l Reserves Rise EUR 633 mln in November

MPs Approve Tax Changes Parliament

MPs Approve Tax Changes

Number of Job Adverts up Minimally HR

Number of Job Adverts up Minimally

Tourism Nights Down 0.2% y.o.y. in October Tourism

Tourism Nights Down 0.2% y.o.y. in October


Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.