McDonald's to run UK delivery fleet on its own cooking oil

Retail

US-based fast food giant McDonald's has reportedly announced plans to power its UK delivery fleet using the cooking oil from its own food outlets, Reuters has revealed.

McDonald's will collect the used oil from approximately 900 of its restaurants and recycle it so that it can make up 85% of the fuel mix used in its 155-strong UK delivery force, Reuters reported. The other 15% of the fuel mix will comprise of pure rapeseed oil. McDonald's believes that by converting the vehicles to run on environmentally-friendly biodiesel, it will prevent the emission of 1,675 tons of carbon dioxide each year, which according to The Associated Press, is equivalent to taking about 2,400 cars off roads. Reuters revealed that McDonald's is planning to launch the initiative with the 45 vehicles that the company has based in Basingstoke, in southern England. However, the company hopes that all of its UK fleet will be converted in the next year, the publication said. (energy-business-review.com)

ADVERTISEMENT

Surplus of External Trade in Services at EUR 2.69 bln in Q3 Trade

Surplus of External Trade in Services at EUR 2.69 bln in Q3

MPs Approve Tax Changes Parliament

MPs Approve Tax Changes

Industrial Producer Prices in Hungary up 41.7% y.o.y. in Oct... Manufacturing

Industrial Producer Prices in Hungary up 41.7% y.o.y. in Oct...

Hard Rock Hotel Opens 'Star Chalet' for Winter Season Hotels

Hard Rock Hotel Opens 'Star Chalet' for Winter Season

SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL

Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.