Anthrax hits Hungary again
Deadly anthrax infection has been identified in Hungary’s Heves county, Hungarian veterinary authority NÉBIH announced on its website yesterday. One person showing symptoms of the infection was taken to hospital and is receiving medical treatment, the statement added.
According to NÉBIH’s statement, the disease was identified in a home-slaughtered cow. The case is raising worries as last week saw another appearance of anthrax in a different part of Hungary following the illegal slaughter of two cattle, though NÉBIH found no relation between the cases.
NÉBIH speculates the spread of virus may be due to infected feed that cows take in when they graze in contaminated fields. The bacteria probably spread after floods or during longer periods of drought, when wells become contaminated, the authority said.
SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL
Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.