Hungarian national planning terrorist attacks apprehended
Image by Shutterstock.com
A 21-year-old Hungarian man has been taken into custody on suspicion of planning terrorist attacks in Hungary, the head of the Counter Terrorism Center (TEK) said at a press conference on Wednesday, according to a report by state news wire MTI.
Brigadier General János Hajdú said the "self-professed Islamist" was apprehended by TEK on Tuesday, after participating in chats on internet sites with strict access protocols that could be connected to the Islamic State. He added that the man had agreed in those chats to make a pipe bomb to detonate at a mass event in Hungary, and that vehicle-ramming attacks were also discussed.
Fielding questions, Hajdú said the man had already purchased materials necessary to assemble the pipe bomb.
He also confirmed that the suspect, who converted to Islam, was enrolled at a university in Budapest and lived in "conventional circumstances".
"We're talking about an entirely normal, average 21-year-old Hungarian," he said.
He said no evidence, at the moment, suggests the man had accomplices.
SUPPORT THE BUDAPEST BUSINESS JOURNAL
Producing journalism that is worthy of the name is a costly business. For 27 years, the publishers, editors and reporters of the Budapest Business Journal have striven to bring you business news that works, information that you can trust, that is factual, accurate and presented without fear or favor.
Newspaper organizations across the globe have struggled to find a business model that allows them to continue to excel, without compromising their ability to perform. Most recently, some have experimented with the idea of involving their most important stakeholders, their readers.
We would like to offer that same opportunity to our readers. We would like to invite you to help us deliver the quality business journalism you require. Hit our Support the BBJ button and you can choose the how much and how often you send us your contributions.